Monday, September 24, 2012

4 A mother's pain

It's sad for a mum to bear a child for 9 months to realize that he/she developed a terminal illness and going to leave her soon. It's also sad to know that the child she is bearing is dysfunctional.

I'm not being discriminatory or what, but like I would have shared with most of my friends, I agree with my mum's reasoning. Being in a society that bears little sensitivity or tolerance for those who are not as healthy as us, I would choose to abort a child when I know he/she is dysfunctional. It will be very sad to see my kid to grow up being poked fun of or being laughed at.. that's the last thing I want my kid to go through - to be the target of verbal abuse I guess. Name calling is different from this, because I know how painful being the odd one out can be. And for the parents, to be taking care of the child all the time and the worse is that unable to cease worrying for the kid even on their death bed - it's something I wouldn't want my mum to go through either. I understand.

I don't know, I guess I'm a very emotional person. I tend to relate to people with my emotions, that explains why I'm very easy to reach out to. Listening to "Ronan" by Taylor Swift, which was dedicated to this 4yo cancer boy, Ronan, who never got to live his life to the fullest, I felt really sad for the mum. Because I know that's the one thing that would tear parents apart, because their love can make them sacrifice so much more. They would want to take the place of their sickly child, thinking that the kid has such a bright future ahead whereas they are growing old, they would rather trade in to let him live. Sadly life isn't so.

Life isn't fair, life is bitter, life.. makes you grow and find your way. Challenges come day after day, that explains why people happily retired with grandchildren and find out they have cancer. Which is rather painful. But not as painful as ending your life even without going through anything just yet.

I really wish that one day, cancer will just be a horoscope. 

No comments:

Post a Comment