Wednesday, April 3, 2013

33 Bearpaws: Blind spots


 There's been a lot of Russian people checking out my blog recently, should I be concerned haha? No offense hehheh, hello there friendly people :) There's been a long weekend after my tests and I managed to take the time off to destress (for once I really believe that shopping helps to destress...)

I know most teenagers of my age will already know that shopping = bugis/far east, but here I would like to offer two cents worth.. what else to spot out for in these places :) And hence, BEARPAWS is born! It's basically just.. signifying that the bear is walking about heh. Bear prints sounds a bit stupid, bear steps too. So let's settle with Bearpaws haha ;)


You'll probably have an idea of how that looks like if you're local, but if you're a foreign reader, this is how Bugis Street looks like: (yes the hustle and bustle is all day long, not sure about the jaywalking ahha)



It's the biggest shopping market in Singapore, and in my opinion, sells the cheapest and provides most variety of clothes :) From food, shoes, shirts, skirts to prom dresses, skin care, mobile accessories.. I think you name it they probably have it :O If you're interested to know more, a famous Singaporean blogger Sophie has blogged Bugis Street at http://sophiewillocq.blogspot.sg/2012/10/bugis-street.html! Take a look!

Anyways, what I found was really worth a mention in Bugis, other than the really discounted prices of shoes (yes Anna Nucci flats for $9.90 is definitely a catch!) and clothes (I got a off shoulder top and pencil skirt for only $20 heh), I found that these adorable things should be given more attention!! 

A shop on Level 3 of Bugis Street. My heart melted when I saw the giraffe!!!!
Craftholic plushies which are very popular are also sold there at discounted prices!
Shop on Level 1. Pretty hard to find because it's more secluded, but hey haha it's near the Anna Nucci shop if you're wondering where to find it :) They sell uhm.. bunny jumpers and panda/monkey/bear caps like the one shown below...
 Anyways, here's my catch of the day from Bugis, a $17 authentic Anna Sui wallet :) Mine was already tearing apart and I found this wallet was minimalist, whilst not losing its classy and elegant touch heh.


My other catch was this:
I swear that I <3 Taimei is the best bubble tea I've had so far! 

It's more milky than KOI maybe, not too sweet for my liking and for me it's just a very nice mixture of milk tea and pearls :) They are also known for their exorbitant prices when selling snacks too (despite the very very positive feedback that says it's really really nice) This is their menu, think that it's really punny that they named their combos after popular Taiwan artistes heehee. 

If you haven't tried Taimei, YOU SHOULD!! 
There's really no reason you shouldn't try since KOI and Gongcha prolly charge you the same anyway,
maybe it's more inconvenient because it's only found in Bugis (2 outlets) and Raffles Place.
BUT, if you're around Bugis do head down to try :)

I dropped by for lunch at Hot Tomato Express at Plaza Sing, and the place looks like this.. just with so many more people since it's lunch hour. It's pretty spacious even though it's merely a small lot :)

What caught my eye for Hot Tomato was the student meal (HAHAHA #aunty). The meal comprised of a "Chicken Chop N Aglio Olio" OR "Sirloin Steak N Aglio Olio" or "Dory Fish N Chips" + free flow drinks for $9.50. In my opinion, the Chicken Chop N Aglio Olio was $8.50, and so.. unless you're gonna sit there and talk to your friend or just chill, maybe the set is more worth it? I haven't got to compare the portion of the student meal and the main course portion, but my opinion is that student meal size for most restaurants are smaller. Correct me if I'm wrong >< 

My Chicken Chop "N" Aglio Olio :)

To be honest, I really wasn't expecting it to be like.. extraordinary or something. It just feels like normal pasta and chicken to me right? Well.. I was wrong, the spaghetti was very nicely cooked with the spice it gave out a really nice aroma, it wasn't too dry or too wet either. The chicken was tender and really juicy. 
I thought the only improvement was that they could try to blend the two flavours more..
In other words, it is HIGHLY RECOMMENDED for you to try out this restaurant :)
When I ran a google search, I was like *drooooool* over all the good food photos.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Side note, is anyone interested to collaborate to come up with a list of good and affordable dining places for students? So far the only list is http://www.hungrygowhere.com/dining-guide/best-and-top/5-student-friendly-cafes-in-singapore-*aid-b75d3f00/ and I think much more can be done, for a huge collaboration to find out where do you have the best student deals :)
Leave a comment below the post or tweet me @fuzzycuddlybear :)


Normally when people talk about Far East Plaza, it's probably just about clothes/doing hair/ finding cheap mobile accessories or something. Maybe you can check out these places instead!
i. the burger bar
 I actually have never tried the burgers here personally, but there has been a long list of good reviews.
I'm merely highlighting this place because it is one of the few outlets that sells The Tiramisu Hero,
I will be doing a review on it in a later blog post :)
ii. Chippy
HAHA Wtf when I typed^ I typed "Chirpys" haha I bet the boss will feel so offended.
The only thing I know that Chippy is damn good for it's their FRIED MARS BALLS
Sounds sinful right?  You can top up ice cream too! Super delish ;)

Anyways, the one reason I sometimes come to Far East Plaza is this place! It's right near the steps near 7-eleven on Basement 1, and it's quite authentic I suppose, the shop keeper is Korean :)



Rows of interesting Korean chips.. Hmm I wonder if they are Kimchi flavoured haha!
PEPERO that has been highly demanded recently.
Is it cause of the Monday couples' Pepero challenge? Hmm.
HAHAH I took this just to show you that there are so many  different brands of seaweed you can choose from!
But I don't know what's the seaweed for luh, I think you'll only drown yourself in seaweed eating all these heh
For anyone who wants to make their own Korean pancakes at home :)

HAHHA Freaking love Korean cutlery please. The bowl quite kawaii ^~^ 
And I love the flat spoon and chopsticks! Tempted to buy it home but I know I'll get whacked for spending unnecessary money T_T But there's a lot of other random stuff there.. like the Bibimbap stone bowl! :D

What's a Korean supermarket without KOREAN CUPNOODLES?
Shin ramen (the one on the right) is my favourite despite all the claims that it has plastic etc heh.


They sell a lot of drinks.. with unknown labels. But I always come here to buy limited edition Cokes produced in Korea for my cousin who collects the cans :)

OKAY WE'VE REACHED THE HIGHLIGHT. 
THE REASON WHY I LOVE THIS PLACE SO MUCH. 
BECAUSE OF THIS!!

HAHA Yes this place sells Kimchi!! They are really STOCKED!
They also sell rice cakes in case you want to do it the Korean way :)
I used to come here to buy a pack of 100g Kimchi (costs me SGD 2.00),
really nice especially when you're watching Running Man HAHAHAAHA

Well, this place also taught me that there are 2 types of Kimchi:
There's Ganna Kimchi (left) and Jung An Kimchi (right)
LOL I won't even bother asking y'all to guess because it's really hard to differentiate (don't tell me it's the packaging omg I also can see right -_-)

Basically, Ganna Kimchi is more fresh because it's made locally and Jung An Kimchi is made in Korea. And it's because of this, Jung An Kimchi is more sour than the normal ones we eat in Singapore because Koreans like sour food heh. And I normally stick to Ganna because I'm not really a fan of sour stuff. 

So here I conclude my post telling you about some blind spots you probably would have never noticed heh. Again, if you're interested in collaborating for the mini project, feel free to contact me ^~^ Hope this post wasn't too wordy and that you guys enjoyed the first post of Bearpaws! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment